Sunday 18 March 2007

Announcing Joakim's Godtalk

As well as blogging about my garden under the pen-name Joakim, I'm training to be a Diocesan Reader in the Church of Ireland. Under the guiding hand of my Rector, I am learning the trade of writing and preaching sermons. I prefer to call them addresses, because the word sermon rings too much of teaching, which as a layman I feel neither called nor qualified to do. Rather I see myself as giving witness, and trying to encourage people to think about their faith for themselves.

I find I benefit greatly from the discipline of preparing an address on a text from the lectionary. It forces me to explore and test my own faith, which only serves to strengthen it.

I plan to post my addresses and other God Talk stuff in this blog. If you enjoy God in the Garden, you may also find something of interest here. Whether you do, or not (more likely perhaps!), I would be delighted to get your comments. Feedback is one thing I know that I need!

No comments: